Sivananda Yoga Teachers' Training Course
1 – 29 August 2022
The goal of this training programme is to train qualified and inspiring yoga teachers who are able to draw on their own practice and personal discipline and share the yoga experience with others.
This course is suited to all yoga practitioners who seek a transformative experience in beautiful surroundings.
The course will be taught in two separate groups: Spanish and English. Some classes will be joined and will simultaneous translation. The asana classes and How to teach classes are also in separate languages.
Yoga Alliance Certified 200-hour Training
Valid until 31 August 2022
|Furnished tent (2-3 beds, A/C):||€2,820|
|Shared room with bunk bed (2 beds per room, shared bathroom):||€2,960|
|Double bungalow (private bathrom):||€3,240|
|Single cabin with shared bathroom:||€3,380|
|Single bungalow (private bathroom):||€3,800|
PARTIAL SCHOLARSHIP for students under 30 who are not working, or the unemployed. Price: €2,520. Only for shared furnished tent.
Student ID or unemployment card is required for verification. Limited number of spaces.
Call +34 91 361 51 50.
What is included in the price?
Including room and board, examination fee, TTC manual, two yoga pants, two t-shirts. All rates include VAT.
Not included in the price: travel, excursions, material for kriyas, any other additional service.
The deadline for making the full payment of the course is 4 weeks before the start date.
Please do not book your trip or make any payments until we have confirmed your participation in the course.
Certificate from the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre organisation (ISYVC) is awarded on successful completion of the course. The diploma is entitled “Yoga Siromani”.
The International Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses consist of three levels:
|Teachers’ Training Course (TTC):||401 units of 45 min or 301 units of 60 min|
|Advanced Teachers’ Training Course (ATTC):||437 units of 45 min or 328 units of 60 min|
|Sadhana Intensive:||173 units of 45 min or 130 units of 60 min|
The Yoga Alliance recognises the TTC for the 200 hours Registered Yoga School Standards and the TTC plus ATTC for the 500 hours Registered Yoga School Standards.
The course will be taught in English and Spanish. Two lectures and two oga classes will be fully in English. The meditation and some lectures will be in Spanish with translation into English. We are using a modern wireless translation system and headphones (available in the yoga boutique or bring your own).
- The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga by Swami Vishnudevananda, Three Rivers Press
- Bhagavad Gita with a commentary by Swami Sivananda, the Divine Life Trust Society
- Yoga: Your Home Practice Companion by the Sivananda Yoga Centres (Dorling Kindersley)
Please note: These books are not included in the course fee. They can be purchased in the Qiterra location upon arrival or via the online shop.
|5:30 am||Wake up|
|6:00 am||Meditation, mantra chanting and lecture|
|8:00 am||Asanas and Pranayama|
|11:00 am||Karma Yoga (helping out with chores)|
|12:00 pm||Bhagavad Gita or Kirtan|
|2:00 pm||Main lecture on philosophy or anatomy|
|4:00 pm||Asanas and Pranayama|
|8:00 pm||Meditation, mantra chanting and lecture|
|10:00 pm||Lights out|
The curriculum is based on the five points of yoga which can be understood as the practical application of the four traditional yoga paths:
- Proper exercise (Asanas)
- Proper breathing (Pranayama)
- Proper relaxation (Savasana)
- Proper diet (vegetarian)
- Positive thinking and meditation (Vedanta and Dhyana)
Daily: two meditation sessions, two yoga classes, two lectures, one hour of service to the ashram community. One day a week is lecture-free.
Asanas (yoga postures)
The daily in-depth practice with individual corrections comprises:
- Sun salutation
- 12 basic yoga postures
- 100 asana variations, from intermediate level to advanced
- Postural alignment
- Deep relaxation with autosuggestion
- Release of blocked energy
- Training sessions for all age groups
Benefits of asanas:
- Control emotions
- Improve power of concentration
- Rid the body of excess fat
- Enhance physical fitness
- Relieve chronic ailments such as constipation, rheumatism, stomach complaints
- Stimulate circulation
- Stabilise thyroid functions
- Keep muscles youthful and supple into old age
- Expands capacity of the lungs
- Relaxes the nervous system
- Balances the two hemispheres of the brain
- Purifies the nadis (subtle energy channels)
- Awakens the inner spiritual energy
- Kapalabhati (lung cleansing exercise)
- Anuloma Viloma (alternate nostril breathing)
- Samanu (mental cleansing of the nadis)
- The 8 main pranayamas: Ujjayi, Surya Bheda, Bhastrika, Plavini, Moorcha, Sitali, Sitkari, Bhramari
- Tratak, Neti, Kapalabhati, Dhauti, Nauli and Basti: six classical purification exercises for the eyes, nose, air passages, oesophagus and stomach, abdominal organs and large intestine. Explanation and demonstration of the exercises and their effects. Individual instruction
Yoga anatomy and physiology
- Introduction to the major body systems
- The effects of asanas and pranayama on: the cardiovascular system, respiration, digestion, skeletal and muscular systems, endocrine system
- How to teach the 12 basic postures and breathing exercises to beginners and intermediate students
- Detailed correction workshops
- In the second half of the training course, participants will teach each other under the guidance of an experienced instructor
- Vegetarianism – for ethical, spiritual and health reasons
- How diet affects the mind
- Proper balance of the main nutrients
- Ayurvedic principles of nutrition
- Healing effects of fasting
- Physical and mental meditation
- 12-step daily practice
- Effects of and experiences in meditation
- Mantras – spiritual energy in sound
- Mantra initiation (if desired)
- Ethical and moral principles
- Body – prana (life energy) – mind
- From control over the body to control over the mind and meditation
- Ashtanga – the 8 steps of yoga
- Antahkarana – functions of the mind
- Concentration and meditation
- The Absolute and how it manifests itself in nature
- Macrocosmos & microcosmos
- The 7 Chakras
- The awakening of cosmic energy
- Kirtan: chanting of classical Sanskrit mantras
- Indian gods and their cosmic meaning
- Arati and Pujas (traditional Indian rituals)
- The law of cause and effect
- Samsara – the wheel of birth and death
- Karma Yoga – selfless service: one hour daily in the ashram community
- Basic concepts of Vedanta philosophy
- The 7 Bhoomikas or planes of consciousness
- Space, time, causation
- The 3 bodies
- The 3 levels of the mind
- Conquest of death
- Study of both the text and the commentary of this classical yoga scripture
50 years of experience and more than 49,000 graduates
- Four-week theoretical and practical training in all aspects of yoga composed of 401 training units of 45 minutes’ duration.
- Certificate from the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre organisation (ISYVC) is awarded on successful completion of the course. The diploma is entitled “Yoga Siromani” and recognised by Yoga Alliance for the 200 hours Registered Yoga School Standards.
- This course was established in 1969 by Swami Vishnudevananda as the first yoga teachers’ training course taught to Western students and now has over 49,000 graduates.
- A sincere desire to learn and openness to yogic techniques is required – a basic knowledge of yoga postures and philosophy is preferred, but not essential. Students will develop the skills to teach yoga asanas and improve their own personal practice.
"Yoga is a system of integral education, education not only of the body and the mind or the intellect, but also of the inner spirit."
~ Swami Sivananda
For TTC Spain
Swami Sivadasananda, Yoga Acharya, is a senior student of Swami Vishnudevananda and has taught at workshops and Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses around the world for many years. He is a dynamic, precise and knowledgeable instructor.
Swami Dayananda is the director of the Sivananda Center in Buenos Aires (Argentina) and teaches the Sivananda Teachers' Training Courses in South America and Spain. She is a steady practitioner of Hatha Yoga and a student of yoga anatomy. She has the ability to clearly convey the knowledge of Yoga and Vedanta.
Gopala is a direct disciple of Swami Vishnudevananda and teaches anatomy and meditation in the yoga teachers' training courses.
Swami Santoshananda has received training in the Sivananda Yoga Centres of Europe and is currently director of the Sivananda Yoga Centre in Madrid. With a great inclination towards devotional music, she teaches the practice and philosophy of mantra chanting.
And cultural programmes
Lecturers and artists enrich the experience of the Teacher Training Course. Lectures on medicine, diet, physics, psychology, religion, etc. reveal fascinating connections with yoga and reflect the rich tradition in which yoga has developed over the centuries.
QITERRA in TOLEDO (SPAIN)
Qiterra covers an area of 68 hectares, just 30 minutes from both Madrid and Toledo.
Thanks to its topography, you will find several valleys through which numerous streams flow into lakes, creating a unique natural environment.
It is 114 metres above the level of the Tajo River. It has a fabulous view overlooking the valley and the city of Aranjuez.
Spaces for practie
There are 3 yoga halls of 360 m2, 480 m2 and 100 m2, respectively. All are air-conditioned and well ventilated, guaranteeing sufficient distance for a safe and comfortable practice. There are also numerous outdoor practice areas. The sunset room with glass walls and stunning views will be the main room for yoga and meditation.
24 double bungalows with private bathroom, wardrobes, fridge and air conditioning. All bungalows have a terrace and private garden with outdoor furniture to enjoy. There is the possibility of accommodation in bunk beds or furnished tents, all with air conditioning.
What is the food like?
The lacto-vegetarian menus guarantee a balanced nutrition. All ingredients, fruit and vegetables are of the highest quality and are full of flavour and colour. There are two meals a day and a healthy snack every day. The dining room accommodates 50 people and there is a large shaded outdoor dining area. Th restaurant tries to meet all dietary needs. Please contact us.
There is a small spa available with an indoor pool and solarium. To enjoy between activities or on the day off.
Telephone & Internet
Mobile coverage in all facilities and also open WIFI in the dining room area are available.
Arrival: from 2pm on August 1st
Departure: until 11am on August 29th
Visit the site: Qiterra
- Yoga mat, meditation cushion, meditation blanket or shawl
- Loose-fitting, comfortable clothes, pen and paper, flashlight, shoes and comfortable walking shoes
- Toiletries, swimwear and towel
- Material for kriyas
- Masks and hand disinfectant
One day a week
One day a week is free of lectures and classes. You will be able to enjoy the tourist attractions of the area such as the gardens of Aranjuez, the monumental city of Toledo or even visit Madrid and its museums if you wish to. It is all less that one hour away.
How to get there
45 minutes from Madrid airport
Book your flight to the Madrid Barajas Airport.
You can take a direct shuttle from the Madrid Barajas Airport to the venue (45 minutes). The cost is approx €65.
Or take a train directly from your terminal, to the city of Aranjuez.
From the airport take the suburban train to Atocha station. From Madrid (Atocha) take the suburban train to Aranjuez. Check here for the train timetable. From Aranjuez you can take a taxi to the venue (18 km). The taxi fare is approximately €25. We can put you in contact with other people to share a taxi.
From Madrid it is 4 km. Take the A-4. Follow the A-4 towards M-305 in Castilla-La Mancha. Take exit 37 from A-4. Follow the M-305 until you reach your destination.
Want to share a car with another student? We will put you in touch! TTC-Spain@sivananda.net
Click here to sign up
Please contact us with any questions:
Phone: +34 91 361 5150
WhatsApp: +34 654 38 99 70
Participation in the Teachers’ Training Course requires inner openness and sincere acceptance of the instructions given by the teachers.
After enrolling, please meet or telephone with the Sivananda Centre in Madrid (WhatsApp+34654389970). This is to gain a better understanding of the spiritual nature of the course and to answer any further questions you may have.
Cancellation before the start of the course: the following fees will apply:
- One week before the start date: Full reimbursement of the yoga part of the accommodation and meals part
- Within 7 days of the beginning of the course: 30% of the yoga part and 30% of the accommodation and meals part
Departure during the Teacher Training Course:
For the yoga part:
- If it is within the first three days of the course, 500 EUR cancellation fee
- After the first three days of the course: no refund.
In case of leaving because of proved COVID related mandatory issues the reimborsement will be full before the start of the course. If the course started the amount correspondent to your stay will be deducted.
In case of leaving before the course, the TTC manual and the TTC uniforms (two shirts and two pants) must be returned before leaving the place of the course.
For the hotel:
QITERRA CANCELLATION POLICY
o Up to 1 week before arrival there is no penalty (24/07/22 ).
o Less than 1 week before arrival, from 25/07/22 for TTC, the cancellation fee will be 30% of the part corresponding to the accommodation and meals for the whole course. This penalty may be reduced depending on whether the place is reassigned to a new participant.
o Cancellations due to proven Covid cases, the refund will be full, except for the days already accommodated.
o Early departure from the TTC. Within the first 3 days a 50% penalty is applied, the other 50% will be refunded. Departure must take place before 12h, otherwise this day will be counted as a penalty.
Once the course has started, no refund will be made.
If you leave on the day of the exam, there is no refund for that day.