Sivananda Yoga Teachers' Training Course
3 August – 30 August 2020
The goal of this training programme is to train qualified and inspiring yoga teachers who are able to draw on their own practice and personal discipline and share the yoga experience with others.
This course is suited to all yoga practitioners who seek a transformative experience in beautiful surroundings.
The course is taught in Spanish and English. Asana classes, how-to-teach classes and some lectures will be separated by language. The rest of the teaching activities are taught in Spanish with simultaneous translation into English (wireless system with headphones).
Valid until 31 August 2020
|Shared room (5–7 beds) or bungalow:**||€2,730|
|Double with shared bath:||€3,135|
|Double with private bath:||€3,270|
*REDUCED PRICE of €1,995 for students and the unemployed.
**REDUCED PRICE of €2,110 for students and the unemployed.
Student ID or unemployment card is required for verification. Limited number of spaces.
Call +34 91 361 51 50.
Including room and board, examination fee, TTC manual, two yoga pants, two t-shirts. All rates include VAT.
Not included in the price: travel, excursions, material for kriyas, any other additional service.
Registration is valid with a down payment of 600€. The remaining unpaid balance is due no later than 6 weeks before the course begins.
By bank transfer:
Account holder: ASOCIACIÓN CENTRO DE YOGA SIVANANDA VEDANTA
Account number: IBAN: ES29 0182 4028 7102 0855 4011
- Credit card payment is also possible with a +2% administration fee
Please do not book your trip or make any payments until we have confirmed your participation in the course through a conversation or personal interview with the Sivananda Yoga Centre in Madrid.
Certificate from the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre organisation (ISYVC) is awarded on successful completion of the course. The diploma is entitled “Yoga Siromani”.
The International Sivananda Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses consist of three levels:
|Teachers’ Training Course (TTC):||401 units of 45 min or 301 units of 60 min|
|Advanced Teachers’ Training Course (ATTC):||437 units of 45 min or 328 units of 60 min|
|Sadhana Intensive:||173 units of 45 min or 130 units of 60 min|
The Yoga Alliance recognises the TTC for the 200 hours Registered Yoga School Standards and the TTC plus ATTC for the 500 hours Registered Yoga School Standards.
The course will be taught in Spanish with simultaneous translation into English using a modern wireless translation system and headphones (available in the yoga boutique or bring your own).
The course may additionally be translated into Portuguese, please enquire for details.
- The Complete Illustrated Book of Yoga by Swami Vishnudevananda, Three Rivers Press
- Bhagavad Gita with a commentary by Swami Sivananda, the Divine Life Trust Society
- Yoga: Your Home Practice Companion by the Sivananda Yoga Centres (Dorling Kindersley)
Please note: These books are not included in the course fee. They can be purchased at the Sivananda Yoga Centres or via the online shop.
Further recommended reading for at-home study:
- Sivananda Beginner’s Guide to Yoga by Sivananda Yoga Centre, Gaia Books
- Meditation and Mantras by Swami Vishnudevananda, Motilal Banarsidass Publishers
Also available at the Sivananda Yoga Centres or via the online shop.
|5:30 am||Wake up|
|6:00 am||Meditation, mantra chanting and lecture|
|8:00 am||Asanas and Pranayama|
|11:00 am||Karma Yoga (helping out with chores)|
|12:00 pm||Bhagavad Gita or Kirtan|
|2:00 pm||Main lecture on philosophy or anatomy|
|4:00 pm||Asanas and Pranayama|
|8:00 pm||Meditation, mantra chanting and lecture|
|10:00 pm||Lights out|
The curriculum is based on the five points of yoga which can be understood as the practical application of the four traditional yoga paths:
- Proper exercise (Asanas)
- Proper breathing (Pranayama)
- Proper relaxation (Savasana)
- Proper diet (vegetarian)
- Positive thinking and meditation (Vedanta and Dhyana)
Daily: two meditation sessions, two yoga classes, two lectures, one hour of service to the ashram community. One day a week is lecture-free.
Asanas (yoga postures)
The daily in-depth practice with individual corrections comprises:
- Sun salutation
- 12 basic yoga postures
- 100 asana variations, from intermediate level to advanced
- Postural alignment
- Deep relaxation with autosuggestion
- Release of blocked energy
- Training sessions for all age groups
Benefits of asanas:
- Control emotions
- Improve power of concentration
- Rid the body of excess fat
- Enhance physical fitness
- Relieve chronic ailments such as constipation, rheumatism, stomach complaints
- Stimulate circulation
- Stabilise thyroid functions
- Keep muscles youthful and supple into old age
- Expands capacity of the lungs
- Relaxes the nervous system
- Balances the two hemispheres of the brain
- Purifies the nadis (subtle energy channels)
- Awakens the inner spiritual energy
- Kapalabhati (lung cleansing exercise)
- Anuloma Viloma (alternate nostril breathing)
- Samanu (mental cleansing of the nadis)
- The 8 main pranayamas: Ujjayi, Surya Bheda, Bhastrika, Plavini, Moorcha, Sitali, Sitkari, Bhramari
- Tratak, Neti, Kapalabhati, Dhauti, Nauli and Basti: six classical purification exercises for the eyes, nose, air passages, oesophagus and stomach, abdominal organs and large intestine. Explanation and demonstration of the exercises and their effects. Individual instruction
Yoga anatomy and physiology
- Introduction to the major body systems
- The effects of asanas and pranayama on: the cardiovascular system, respiration, digestion, skeletal and muscular systems, endocrine system
- How to teach the 12 basic postures and breathing exercises to beginners and intermediate students
- Detailed correction workshops
- In the second half of the training course, participants will teach each other under the guidance of an experienced instructor
- Vegetarianism – for ethical, spiritual and health reasons
- How diet affects the mind
- Proper balance of the main nutrients
- Ayurvedic principles of nutrition
- Healing effects of fasting
- Physical and mental meditation
- 12-step daily practice
- Effects of and experiences in meditation
- Mantras – spiritual energy in sound
- Mantra initiation (if desired)
- Ethical and moral principles
- Body – prana (life energy) – mind
- From control over the body to control over the mind and meditation
- Ashtanga – the 8 steps of yoga
- Antahkarana – functions of the mind
- Concentration and meditation
- The Absolute and how it manifests itself in nature
- Macrocosmos & microcosmos
- The 7 Chakras
- The awakening of cosmic energy
- Kirtan: chanting of classical Sanskrit mantras
- Indian gods and their cosmic meaning
- Arati and Pujas (traditional Indian rituals)
- The law of cause and effect
- Samsara – the wheel of birth and death
- Karma Yoga – selfless service: one hour daily in the ashram community
- Basic concepts of Vedanta philosophy
- The 7 Bhoomikas or planes of consciousness
- Space, time, causation
- The 3 bodies
- The 3 levels of the mind
- Conquest of death
- Study of both the text and the commentary of this classical yoga scripture
50 years of experience and more than 46,000 graduates
- Four-week theoretical and practical training in all aspects of yoga composed of 401 training units of 45 minutes’ duration.
- Certificate from the International Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Centre organisation (ISYVC) is awarded on successful completion of the course. The diploma is entitled “Yoga Siromani” and recognised by Yoga Alliance for the 200 hours Registered Yoga School Standards.
- This course was established in 1969 by Swami Vishnudevananda as the first yoga teachers’ training course taught to Western students and now has over 46,000 graduates.
- A sincere desire to learn and openness to yogic techniques is required – a basic knowledge of yoga postures and philosophy is preferred, but not essential. Students will develop the skills to teach yoga asanas and improve their own personal practice.
"Yoga is a system of integral education, education not only of the body and the mind or the intellect, but also of the inner spirit."
~ Swami Sivananda
For TTC Almería
Swami Sivadasananda, Yoga Acharya, is a senior student of Swami Vishnudevananda and has taught at workshops and Yoga Teachers’ Training Courses around the world for many years. He is a dynamic, precise and knowledgeable instructor.
Swami Dayananda is the director of the Sivananda Center in Buenos Aires (Argentina) and teaches the Sivananda Teachers' Training Courses in South America and Spain. She is a steady practitioner of Hatha Yoga and a student of yoga anatomy. She has the ability to clearly convey the knowledge of Yoga and Vedanta.
Chandra is a direct disciple of Swami Vishnudevananda. He has taught at the Sivananda Yoga Centres and international courses in Argentina, Brazil and Spain with dedication for more than 40 years.
Gopala is a direct disciple of Swami Vishnudevananda and teaches anatomy and meditation in the yoga teachers' training courses.
Swami Santoshananda has received training in the Sivananda Yoga Centres of Europe and is currently director of the Sivananda Yoga Centre in Madrid. With a great inclination towards devotional music, she teaches the practice and philosophy of mantra chanting.
The course instructors are Yoga Acharyas (spiritual teachers) and senior teachers personally trained by Swami Vishnudevananda.
Several other swamis, senior teachers and translators will be participating in the course.
And cultural programmes
Lecturers and artists from around the world enrich the experience of the Teacher Training Course. Lectures on medicine, diet, physics, psychology, religion, etc. reveal fascinating connections with yoga.
The cultural programs of India, such as vocal and instrumental concerts, classical temple dance and the authentic ceremonies of Indian temples, reflect the rich tradition in which yoga has developed over the centuries.
With Carlos Guerra
Musician and performer of the bansuri, a traditional Indian bamboo flute. He studied for many years in India and at present offers concerts and classes all over Spain together with Tokuko Nakamura (tampura).
The brain of the yogi
Interesting presentations about the effects of yoga and meditation on the brain.
With Parvati Pilar
Ayurveda offers very practical ways to prevent disease and develop radiant health. Presentations with dietary advice. Includes a practical course in vegetarian cooking.
Indian Temple Ceremonies
With a traditional South Indian priest
The colours, sounds, aromas and gestures of the traditional temple ceremonies (Pujas) help clear the mental atmosphere and create a strong meditative vibration.
With Prema Arenas Bonansea
Originally from Argentina, Prema is an inspiring yoga practitioner and teacher in Taiwan. She also modeled for the Sivananda book Yoga: Your Home Practice Companion.
Alignment in the Asana
With Steven Weiss
Holistic chiropractor and yoga therapist from the USA, Stephen Weiss will make a presentation about the basic principles of alignment in the different yoga postures.
The Al-Hamam Oasis is located in Andalusia, Almería, 1km from the town of Lucainena de las Torres, one of the most beautiful villages in the province, between the Tabernas desert and the beaches of Cabo de Gata, a pristine land influenced by sunlight and a volcanic landscape.
Oasis Al-Hamam is committed to environmental protection and sustainability.
Lacto-vegetarian meals ensure a balanced diet. Many of the fruits and vegetables are sourced directly from the garden and are full of flavour and colour. The spring water is of the highest quality.
The farmhouse can accommodate vegan and/or gluten-free diets by offering alternatives.
The saltwater pool has an attached solarium area where you can enjoy your leisure time. The place has several garden areas with natural grass and fruit trees that will cool the summer evenings.
The accommodation is simple with the possibility of a double or shared room. If you want to stay at the campsite you must bring your own tent.
Yoga and meditation are mainly practiced in the 220 m2 “OM” hall. The room is well-ventilated and has a fine wooden floor, the ideal place to practice yoga.
The venue has three other rooms of varying size and similar quality, as well as large outdoor spaces with stunning views.
The proximity of the sea and the favourable geology of the location means that the average temperature in the area during the month of August ranges from a low of 19ºC and a high of 29.5ºC.
Telephone & Internet
There is mobile connection in all the facilities.
Oasis Al-Hamam has open WIFI available in the dining area as well as in the main building and rest areas, available from 10am to 11pm.
Arrival: from 4pm on Monday, the 3rd of August
Departure: until 11am on Sunday the 30th of August
Visit the site: oasisalhamam.com
- Yoga mat, meditation cushion, blanket (our boutique will be open every day for the purchase of books, yoga clothes, mats, cushions and other items)
- Loose-fitting, comfortable clothes, pen and paper, flashlight, shoes and comfortable walking shoes
- Toiletries, towel and swimwear, material for kriyas
- Headphones for the translation
During the yoga instructor course
Once a week is a lecture-free day. Possible excursions:
About 37 km from the Al-Hamam Oasis, it is an urban beach that runs the entire length of the village, just over half a kilometer. The broad beach has fine sand and access for people with reduced mobility. It also has a lifeguard on duty.
An hour and a half by car. Located at the foot of the Sierra Nevada, it is one of Spain’s most interesting cities to visit. Its impressive Andalusian legacy is complemented by its Renaissance architectural jewels. The Albaicín neighborhood has been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site together with the Alhambra and the Generalife. It has been an important cultural centre for centuries, both during the Muslim and Christian eras. It is lovely to walk through its many gardens and squares or go to the Mirador with its breath-taking views of the Alhambra.
CABO DE GATA NATURAL PARK
Located on the Mediterranean Sea. Of volcanic origin, it is an area of maximum ecological relevance. It has an area of 38,000 hectares and was declared by the UNESCO a Biosphere Reserve. Within an hour’s distance you can visit beaches such as Cala de Enmedio, Roquetas de Mar, Playa de los Genoveses and other magical places.
LA VIA VERDE
The old mining trail between Lucainena de las Torres and Agua Amarga is one of the most authentic destinations in the interior of Almeria. In the shadow of the Alhamilla mountain range and along the Lucainena promenade, you will cross lands of silence, desert, loneliness, and mountains, praising all colour and vegetation that comes to pass.
TYPICAL ANDALUSIAN VILLAGES
Full of charming places such as Níjar, Sorbas, Lucainena de las Torres and the Sierra de Alhamilla spa, located on the slope of the Betic mountain, less than 45 minutes away, and famous for its sulphurous waters and its sea views.
How to get there
Most low cost companies fly direct to the Malaga International Airport. From there we offer a direct transport service (yogibus) to the Oasis Al-Hamam in Almería (217km). If you are interested in this option see below.
The Sivananda Yoga Center offers direct travel from Malaga to Oasis Al-Hamam in Almeria with the yogibus:
A chartered coach with air conditioning.
For more information please contact us at TTC-Spain@sivananda.net.
Pre-registration is essential. Enroll to the yogibus >>
If you are coming from Madrid or Barcelona we recommend the following options:
- Direct flight to Almería Airport (45 minutes to the venue). The Oasis offers pick-up service at additional cost.
- Train to Almería (www.renfe.com). There is possibility of pick up by taxi OR take a bus into the closest town called Sorbas.
Click here to sign up
Please contact us with any questions:
Phone: +34 91 361 5150
WhatsApp: +34 654 38 99 70
Participation in the Teachers’ Training Course requires inner openness and sincere acceptance of the instructions given by the teachers.
After enrolling, please meet or telephone with Swami Santoshananda (Sivananda Centre in Madrid). This is to gain a better understanding of the spiritual nature of the course and to answer any further questions you may have.
Cancellation before the start of the course: the following fees will apply:
- More than 21 days before the start date: 10% of the yoga part and 10% of the accommodation and meals part
- Within 21 days of the beginning of the course: 30% of the yoga part and 30% of the accommodation and meals part
Departure during the Teacher Training Course:
For the yoga part:
- If it is within the first three days of the course, 500 EUR cancellation fee
- After the first three days of the course: no refund.
In case of leaving before the course, the TTC manual and the TTC uniforms (two shirts and two pants) must be returned before leaving the place of the course.
For the hotel: 70% cancellation fee applying to the remaining part of the accommodation not counting the days you have been staying (i.e. 30% refund of the remaining part).
Hotel cancellation fees may be reduced to the extent that the room/bed can be assigned to a new participant.
If you leave the exam day there is no possibility of reimbursement for that day.